During 32nd years, this Museum has become a fullfledged multipurpose Museum comprising of various Galleries like - Ethnology, Archeology, Natural History, Painting, Jallan, Children's Gallery and an open air gallery for housing the 78ft long boat called Hiyang Hiren (Royal boat).
The Manipur State Museum was inaugurated by the late Prime Minister of India, Smt. Indira Gandhi on 23rd September, 1969.
Apart from the normal functions of Museum, the Manipur State Museum took up various activities like Museum awareness programmes, Conservation of Biological specimens, cultural appreciation course, Science fairs, thematic exhibition, mobile exhibition etc.
Now a days, Manipur State Museum has taken up numerous sponsor programmes through National and International Museums.
National Level Programmes:
1. The organization of the first Inter-State Exhibition on the theme " The Heroes of Epic Age" sponsoured by Indian Museum, Kolkata from March 29 to April 12 1999 at State Museum, Manipur.
2. A workshop on the Ethno-Medicine Man of Manipur sponsored by Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Shangraholaya (IGRMS), Bhopal was executed by the Manipur State Museum from 6th to 12th December, 1999.
3. The participation of Manipur State Museum personnel in the Asthamudi Festival at Kolam, Kerala is the most remarkable achievements of Manipur State Museum organized by IGRMS, Bhopal. The objective of this event is to disseminate the importance of the old aged customary trend of Manipur heritage. An exhibition under the title "Heritage of North East India" was organized to highlight the Manipuri heritage.
4. National Exhibition on the contemporary Indian Art from National Gallery of Modern Art, new Delhi was organized at the Manipur State Museum from 16th to 29th February, 2000.
5. Participated in the National workshop-cum-exhibition at shilparamam, Hyderabad in the month of December, 2000 by sending Manipur craftpersons.
6. Through Central Grant Scheme, the Indian Museum, Kolkata as nodal agency had renovated Ethnological Gallery in collaborationwith Manipur State Museum and inaugurated on 20/1/2001 by His Excellency, the Governor of Manipur, Shri Ved Marwah.
7. Museum Exhibition on "Cultural Heritage of Manipur" at Indian Museum, Kolkata was organized by the Manipur State Museum from 2nd to 15th September, 2000.
8. Manipur State Museum has opened a Heritage site at IGRMS, Bhopal where Uman Lai Shrine and Traditional House of Tangkhul were constructed to disseminate the cultural significance of Manipur in the month of April, 2001.
1. Attended the International Seminar on "Himalayan Culture" at IGRMS, Bhopal and Curator, Manipur State Museum presented a paper on the topic "Cultural History of Manipur" in March, 2001.
2. Participated the German Festival at IGRMS, Bhopal by organizing workshop on Manipur pottery Paphal Exhibition and Celebration of Umang Lai Haraoba in February, 2001.
3. Dr.(Smt.) K. Sobita Devi, Manipur State Museum has attended the 13th General Conference and 20th General Assembly of ICOM (International Council of Museum) in Barcelona, Spain from 1st to 16th July, 2001 and successfully completed the study of aboard Museum in Paris, Spain and Lodon.